I am eight Parasol dresses in right now, and there is no sign of my stopping. It (along with the Shirt No. 1 hackadress that I’ve made 3 times) is the pattern that re-kick-started my sewjo, and I’m not mad about it. I love this pattern, so much so that I’m running a ShannaJean Summer Camp workshop on it in a few weeks (check it out here, and think about joining us, because it’s going to be SEW FUN!)
I’m sharing all of the Parasol dresses I’ve made here, with some details that might help if you are making one.
My measurements are: 5.6″ tall / 41″b / 42″w / 47″h, for reference.
For all of the ones shown, I used the full width of the fabric for the skirts, AND instead of measuring for the skirts, used the remaining fabric after cutting out bodice, facings, and pockets for the skirts. I halved what I had left (so, for my 2.5 yard cuts, the skirts are just under my knee, and for the 3 yard cuts, they are maxi dresses).
For all of the remaining ones, I’ve used (and will continue to use) the following modifications:
Bodice pieces are cut 1″ narrower than pattern suggests;
Bodice center front and back AND underarms are all sewn to 5″ instead of the 3″ the pattern calls for;
Deep inseam pockets placed at 2.5″ from top of skirt;
Skirts are full width of fabric;
Skirt length is leftovers after cutting all bodice, facings, and pockets halved.