Right now, we are only selling ready-made tubes on our Etsy site. In the near future (likely after the first of the year), we’ll be taking orders for custom tubes, so be sure you’re signed up for our email list!
Once you’ve got your yarn picked out, download our order form (coming soon!), and think about the decisions you need to make:
- Do I want to save yarn for the sock toes, heels or cuffs, or would I like to have contrasting heels and toes?
- Do I want to add Lycra? It makes for a tighter, closer fitting sock, but may mute dark colors a bit.
- Do I want a 60-stitch or 72-stitch tube? (Neckwarmers are typically 84-stitch tubes.)
We also have sock, fingerless mitt, and neckwarmer kits all ready to go. Kits include the tube, contrast yarn for socks and mitts, and a photo-tutorial pattern. These make great gifts!
Then you trust your yarn to us. If you’re in the Portland, Oregon area, we might be able to make arrangements to pick it up in person. We follow your instructions and return a beautifully cranked tube to you. We will also include a pattern that details, step by step, how to add the sock toes, heels, and cuffs (edges and thumbs for mitts, and three shaping options for the neckwarmer) that transform the tube into a beautiful finished item.
You can follow our pattern, or use your favorite afterthought heel pattern. You can add a plain 1X1 rib cuff, or maybe go crazy with a fancy cabled rib. You can add neon contrasting heels and toes, or thumbs and edges on your mitts. You make these socks and mitts the way you want them!
Knitting from tubes using our patterns is suitable for an adventurous beginner or intermediate knitter. Skills needed include k2tog, ssk, Kitchener stitch grafting or three-needle bind off, and picking up stitches. The patterns contain photo-tutorial instructions for adding the afterthought heel and thumb and shaping the neckwarmer.
- Yarn must be light sport, fingering, or lace weight.
- With most yarns, 100 grams will make a tube for one pair of socks with cuffs, heels, and toes, OR a tube that makes two pair of socks with added yarn for contrasting toes, heels, and cuffs.
- Not all yarns are created equal. Some will make a thicker, wider tube, and some will make a thinner tube.
- We reserve the right to refuse to crank yarns that are too weak, too thin, too heavy, or damaged.
Pricing: $20 per skein of yarn + shipping. For 5 or more skeins, the price is $16 each + shipping.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for mailing us your yarn or to ask questions.